Welcome to VNgen - The Next-gen Visual Novel Engine
Easily create dynamic visual novel content and sequenced animations with VNgen by XGASOFT. Powered by Quantum, VNgen uses a powerful scripting system within GameMaker Studio, breaking the limits of GML to deliver high-quality presentation both in the IDE and on target devices.
A complete rewrite of the popular Edge VN, VNgen reimagines visual novel design from the ground up, providing access to advanced features previously only accessible to high-budget studios with custom engines. As a sequenced animation platform the possibilities are endless, offering a combination of built-in transitions and animations plus support for user-created animation scripts using simple keyframe logic. As a visual novel engine, VNgen supports virtually limitless entities of every kind, all part of a flexible, modular structure which can be customized to suit almost any user’s needs.
Just want something simple? Good news: VNgen handles the complex stuff so you don’t have to. Many functions have both simplified and extended counterparts, offering something for every level of programming experience.
Building a full game? Great! As an extension of GameMaker Studio, VNgen can be used entirely on its own or as a layer on top of your own custom code and game mechanics. You can even integrate your own code into VNgen without modifying anything!
In addition, VNgen features…
- Fully resolution and framerate independent design
- Compatibility with desktop, mobile, and console platforms (HTML5 partially supported)
- Event/action structure with over 10 different types of entities to create, modify, animate, and destroy
- Advanced text generation with markup for style, speed, pausing, links, and more
- Four-color gradient blending for most elements
- Dynamic mesh support for most elements
- Advanced 2.5D camera-style perspective
- Custom depth sorting of elements within a single object
- Full-color backlog
- Composite character system with unlimited layers
- Built-in multi-language support
- Built-in debug mode with command console and a host of real-time statistics
- … And much more! (Seriously.)
In this reference guide, you’ll learn…
- How to get started with your first project
- How to use VNgen’s custom script syntax (Q-script)
- How to navigate events
- How to perform actions
- Advanced functions
- Individual script arguments, and what they mean
To get started, choose a topic from the menu to the leftabove to learn more.